19.9.10

The Cave




The threat of the wilderness and what the wilderness hides plays a huge role in
Edgar Huntly or, Memoirs of a Sleep-Walker. One of the parts I found most interesting was at the beginning of chapter 17. Edgar seemed to finally feel as though luck was on his side after his terrifying experience in the cave in chapter 16.

Thus I was delivered form my prison and restored to the enjoyment of the air and the light. (164)

In any other direction, I might have involved myself in an inextricable maze, and rendered my destruction sure: but now what remained to place me in absolute security? (164)

These previous passages allow the reader to feel that Edgar has some time to get himself sorted out. He appears to have found a safe cavern where he can possibly get rest and nourishment. But in the next few sentences with little description to illuminate what has come to light we understand that all of this has changed. Edgar realizes there are Indians in the cave with him.

Had some mysterious power snatched me from the earth, and cast me, in a moment, into the heart of the wilderness? (164)

The realization that he is in a cave with the natives immediately fills Edgar with dread and fear. He now feels as though instead of narrowly escaping an inextricable maze he has ended up buried in the center of one. For Edgar the Indians represent the vast terrifying wilderness. He now feels as though he is back in a nightmare with nothing tangible to ensure his safety. He appears to be completely lost in time and space.

Was I still in the vicinity of my paternal habitation or was I thousands of miles distant? (164)

By writing with little emphasis of the description of the cave Brown is able to quickly change our and Edgars feelings of the cave within a few sentences. When Edgar originally finds this cave it is somewhat of a relief to know he has somewhere safe to hide. But as quickly as that relief came it is gone with the revealing of the Indians sleeping within it. I don’t necessarily think he does this on purpose it seems to just flow with the inconsistency of his writing.

If an author more orientated toward the picturesque wrote these passages they may have put more description in the appearance of the cave. Possibly describing the walls and perhaps some images found on the walls of the cave.  I think the quick change from security to despair would have been lost in this passage had it been written by an author more orientated toward the picturesque.






No comments:

Post a Comment